Positive Affirmations to Retrain Your BrainMar 25, 2022
Affirmations are one of the most powerful ways to help us change the way we feel at any particular moment. Unlike a general statement of “positive attitude,” an effective affirmation is a custom designed statement that specifically targets your particular negative core beliefs. Since affirmations are, by their very nature, very personal statements, you can create and change your affirmations to suit your present situation and needs.
An effective affirmation has several basic characteristics:
- It is positive
- It is true
- It is stated in the now – present tense
- It is brief and concise
- It uses active language
Here’s how to create an effective affirmation:
- Identify 2-3 negative beliefs (e.g. I’m stupid, I’m unlovable, and I’m not good enough).
- Hint: You can also use the negative core beliefs identified by the Negative Core Beliefs worksheet
- Find the words or phrases that are the opposites of the negative beliefs and are true about you (e.g. I’m smart; I’m lovable; and I’m more than good enough).
- Arrange these words and phrases into a short statement that feels right to you – a statement that “sings” to you (e.g. I am a smart and lovable man who is more than good enough).
You can create affirmations for your general life and affirmations specifically designed for a particular challenge in your life. All you have to do is start with the particular negative beliefs – the negative statements you say about yourself – with regard to the challenge you are facing. Then just do the next two steps above to create the affirmation.
Looking for some support on creating your own positive affirmations? Use this link to book a free 15-minute consultation.